Saturday, March 21, 2015

Genius Hour

"Talk at me and I struggle to learn. Actively involve me and I achieve. Empower me to lead, and I take my new skills wherever I go."  Paul Solarz




Have you heard of Genius Hour?  Classrooms everywhere are trying this idea and finding that it encourages student excitement and engagement.
It is all about student-led learning environments where students develop confidence, curiosity, independence and collaboration. 
So how do you start this in your classroom and what does it look like?




Chris Kesler is an 8th grade science teacher who shares great resources on his website, Genius Hour.  Follow him on Twitter!
Paul Solarz is a fifth grade teacher in Illinois.  He calls his genius hour "Passion Time" find out more Here on his website. Follow him on Twitter! He has also written a book, Learn Like a Pirate! You can find it on Amazon.  If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can read it for free!



For resources and inspiration:
Genius Hour Wiki- Denise Krebs and Joy Kirr organizers
LiveBinder by Joy Kirr
Read: "Genius hour": What kids can learn from failure, by Emanuella Grinberg, CNN.
Twitter #genioushour


What do students have to say about Genius Hour?


I hope that I have inspired you to investigate Genius Hour, or maybe even try this in your classroom with your students!  I would love to hear from you!



0 comments:

Post a Comment