If you are like most teachers, the start of school is challenging for mind and body. Summer provided a delightful time to refresh spirits and spend time with family and friends. Now, it is time to shift your focus and prepare for the beginning of a new school year!
Over the years, I have learned five things that will help your transition from summer vacation to the opening day of school:
- Nothing helps your attitude like a good nights sleep! Your sleep schedule and bedtime habits make a difference in how well you function during the day. Several weeks before you return to school, set your alarm and get back into your work schedule. Your body will appreciate having time to regulate itself!
- Organize your closet and get your school wardrobe clean and ready for work. Nothing feels better than walking into your closet and having a weeks worth of outfits ready to go! Choosing what we wear, rather than allowing the state of our wardrobe and closet to make that decision for us is empowering.
- Children love to get new backpacks and lunchboxes at the beginning of the school year. Find that cute tote that reflects your personality. I love having a new bag or two to start the year.
- It is time to think about what you will eat for breakfast and lunch when school starts! Stock your cupboards with healthy items that will keep your energy high and promote good health. Get up in time to eat a good breakfast! Pack your healthy lunch the night before. If you have the supplies ready, you will not be tempted to stop by the vending machines for soda and chips.
- Plan something special just for you before returning to school. Lunch with friends or a trip to the spa will help you relax and celebrate the end of summer. I am always a little sad that the carefree days of summer are over. Getting my hair done and shopping for a new outfit help create a positive mood.
I hope these quick tips will help you have a great start to the new school year!
Best wishes and much love sent your way!